Thursday, July 19, 2012

Worship Through Obedience

I have been touched by the outpouring of love and care for Lydia and our family as we journeyed to Uganda to meet her and as we have since brought her home. Something that has honestly surprised me has been the conversations I've had with people who have told me that our story is "inspiring" or that we were "brave" to pursue this adoption. While I am humbled and grateful for these kind words, it is not something I would think of on my own. Much of the time during the process, it just felt like faith and obedience to what we felt God was leading us to do. He led us every step and provided all we needed. This process put flesh and bones on what I've taught students for years: step out and follow step by step where God calls and leads...your obedience in faith is worship. When I was in the middle of the process of adopting Lydia, I didn't feel particularly brave. I felt dependent, humbled and amazed by the big-ness and goodness of God.

2 comments:

  1. One of the things we were cautioned against when we adopted was being motivated to rescue a child. Yes, it is a fact that Chinese girls would have a better life in the US than in China, but it was not our primary reason for adoption. In the same way, if your primary motivation to adopt Lydia was to inspire others, or to show your braveness, then, you would be putting yourselves above her, as in, a position of superiority. Instead, you are learning together and she is as much an inspiration to you as you are to her, and others. Humility is not based on superiority, but on receiving a gift that goes beyond words. The wonder of our children is a gift beyond expression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks J! We were also warned about the "rescue" mentality. If you go into adoption thinking only about "rescuing" a child from their situation, it totally changes the way you view them and the people of the country to which you're traveling. Much better to go with humility and love.

    ReplyDelete