Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Uganda Update Day 5

It's been quite a ride so far.  Saturday, after a plane flight filled with comedy (Addis Ababa airport), connections (met 2 mission teams and a group of seminary students from London on their way to teach preaching at a Bible college in Kampala) and very little sleep I landed at Entebbe/Kampala.  The ride through the city to the very rural outskirts of town (Wakiso) was a thrill a second, and at the end of it, I met Lydia!  After spending a bit of time at the orphanage, Bonnie and I returned to our hotel and had dinner with new friends, Ian and Mindy (also on an adoption trip) and the Vargas.   Sunday, I had the privilege of worshiping with a small church at the orphanage from which we are adopting.  There was a wonderful spirit of worship and adoration for our great God in that little building, and they even invited me to sing 2 songs for them.  I sang "When I Think About the Lord" (because every time you say or sing 'Hallelujah', everyone shouts 'Amen!') and "Jesus Messiah."  Very few worshipers there spoke English, but after the music, the pastor translated some of the lyrics and exclaimed that he loves it when people sing about the greatness of Jesus and what he accomplished at the cross.  Tuesday was our court hearing, and it was definitely different from any court experience I've had in the US.  At the end, we were granted custody by the judge and now we await a formal reading of the ruling next week.  Today, we travelled to the place where our girl was originally abandoned at 8 months of age, and the story is too hard to tell (despite the fact I need to remain somewhat guarded about the details of her case until it is complete).  However, one of the richest blessings today came when we saw the faces of those who had helped to rescue her and who have thought she died from the abusive treatment she endured.  She was passed around from person to person with smiles and tears shared by all.  Definitely a time for worship.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing... you three are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the update. God bless all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I weep for all the children who did not even make it to the orphanages all over the world, and I am endlessly thankful to be a part of the miracle of watching these children become who they are in the sight of a loving God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my prayers, Sean...as always! Thank you for sharing your journey with us....know that I am thanking God profusely for the little life that was spared so that she could become your daughter. She must have been very special to our Father in Heaven, because she will be going to the most loving home imaginable! When I compare what was, what might have been, and what is now to be for Lydia Riley, I just cannot stop crying and smiling! May God continue to bless all of you!! Robbie

    ReplyDelete